Aerospace Museum of California
Formerly the McClellan Aviation Museum, this museum pays tribute to Sacramento’s aviation heritage while educating the public on aerospace science. Visitor’s can take in the museum’s Hardie Setzer Aerospace Pavilion, McClellan Memorial Plaza, Air Park, Aerospace Learning Center, and the Aviation Historic Center.
- Address: 3200 Freedom Park Dr., McClellan, CA (former McClellan Air Force Base)
- Phone: (916) 643-3192
- Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Sun. noon-4 p.m.
California Foundry History Museum
The museum displays the some of the state’s rich foundry history dating back to the Gold Rush era. There are visual displays, photographs, oral interview transcripts, and artifacts from various men and women who were the backbone to California’s foundry industry.
- Address: 5301 Price Ave., McClellan Park
- Phone: (916) 929-8001
- Hours: Mon.–Fri. 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
California State Military Museum
The preservation of the state’s military heritage is the mission of the California State Military Museum. The museum houses more than 30,000 artifacts from California Veterans, Spanish and Mexican California, the Spanish American War, California Naval Militia and the California Cavalry to name a few.
- Address: 1119 2nd St. (Old Sacramento)
- Phone: (916) 442-2883
- Hours: Tues.–Sun. 10 a.m.-5 p.m., call for winter hours
California Museum for History, Women and the Arts
This is California’s first permanent space to honor the contributions to California women. First Lady Maria Shriver led the efforts to create this museum. The six-story Constitutional Wall in the museum’s courtyard is Sacramento’s largest public art piece.
- Address: 1020 O St. (Downtown)
- Phone: (916) 653-7524
- Hours: Tue.-Sat. 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Sun. noon-5 p.m.
California State Capital Museum
This museum is a working museum that is located in the home of the state’s legislative branch and the Governor’s office. Guided tour visitors are treated to the Capitol Rotunda’s grand architecture or feel a great sense of civic duty while sitting in the Assembly or Senate chambers.
- Address: 10th and L streets, Capitol Building (Downtown)
- Phone: (916) 324-0333
- Hours: Daily 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
California State Indian Museum
There were more than 150 Indian tribes that called California home. This museum displays beads, basketwork, photographs and other artifacts from the more than 500,000 Indians that resided here. There are also interactive stations where visitors can use Indian tools or pump a drill that is used in beadwork.
- Address: 2618 K St. (Downtown)
- Phone: (916) 324-0971
- Hours: Daily 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
California State Railroad Museum
Trains big and small and everything in between can be appreciated at the California State Railroad Museum. During certain times of the year, the museum operates a steam locomotive on the Sacramento Southern Railroad. The museum also offers various special events.
- Address: 2nd and I streets, Old Sacramento
- Phone: (916) 445-6645
- Hours: Daily 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Crocker Art Museum
Art from California, Asia, Europe and American are among the many artifacts that can be found at Crocker. Art appreciators can gaze on early California paintings, master drawings, Meissen Porcelain, and contemporary works from California artists.
- Address: 216 O St.
- Phone: (916) 264-5423
- Hours: Tues.-Sun. 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Thurs. 10 a.m.-9 p.m.
Discovery Museum’s Gold Rush History Center
Learn about science, printing, the Gold Rush, and nature at the Discovery Museum. There are plenty of hands-on exhibits that are perfect for the curious hands of little explorers. There are also child-scaled tables and chairs for families to discuss and learn about what they’ve seen.
- Address: 101 I St. (Old Sacramento)
- Phone: (916) 264-7057
- Hours: Tues.-Sun. 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Old Sacramento School House Museum
This museum is a replica of one-room schools that were found throughout the Sacramento valley. The interior of the museum is furnished with period pieces, such as desks, a stove, and photographs.
- Address: 1200 Front St., Old Sacramento
- Phone: (916) 482-6675
- Hours: Mon.-Sat. 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Sun. 1 p.m.-4 p.m.
Towe Auto Museum
If you appreciate cars, a visit the Towe Auto Museum is a must. Classic autos from the 1880 double-decker Omnibus wagon to a 2002 NASCAR Chevy Monte are on display. Not satisfied with just looking at them? Then own one. Some cars are for sale from an ever-changing inventory.
- Address: 2200 Front St., Old Sacramento
- Phone: (916) 442-2646
- Hours: Daily 10 a.m.-6 p.m., last admission is at 5 p.m.
Wells Fargo History Museum
There are two Sacramento locations for these museums. The Old Sacramento location is a smaller museum displaying various Gold Rush era artifacts. The downtown location features a walk-in agents office and original Concord Coach.
- Address: 1000 2nd St. (Old Sacramento) and 400 Capitol Mall (Downtown)
- Phone: (916) 440-4263 (Old Sac) and (916) 440-4161 (Downtown)
- Hours: Daily 10 a.m.-5 p.m. (Old Sac) and Weekdays 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (Downtown)